HAVE POSTDATE PREGNANCY - LATE PREGNANCY
Normal pregnancy time usually takes about 38 weeks until 42 weeks start could
from fist day of woman last mesntrual period. If the pregnancy woman have pregnant
more than 42 weeks, than this is call postdate pregnancy. If the pregnancy already
past the week of 42, than the doctor will take some test and also this is will
increase the change for the mother to have a cesarean delivery, because the
postdate pregnancy usually will bring some serious risk for the mother and also
This is the risk of postdate pregnancy :
- If the postdate pregnancy continues, the baby may not get enough oxygen
or nutrients from the blood of an aging placenta at pregnancy body. This will
make the baby stop growing, potentially damage the brain of baby, or the worst
case could kill the baby.
- Meconium is a greenish substance that builds up in bowels of baby and this
is normally discharged shortly after the birth. If this problem is discharged
into the amniotic fluid before birth, the baby might inhale it. Inhalation
of meconium into the lungs can cause severe breathing problems for the baby
at birth. If meconium is found, your baby will be monitored very closely.
The doctor should take some test first for make sure about the cause of postdate
pregnancy, because most of the postdate pregnancy is cause by incorrect to calculate
the due date, or just because unknown normal problem that make the pregnancy
is become late. The postdate pregnancy is have 10% of all pregnancies.
If the pregnancy is starting at the week of 40th, the doctor could have several
way to check the baby health :
- The kick count, where you count movements your baby makes during a prescribed
length of time.
- Electronic fetal monitoring. This is nonstress test.
- Ultrasound evaluation or biophysical profil.
- Ultrasound measurement of the amount of amniotic fluid.
When the doctor find the health of the baby is unclear or uncertain, the test
will continue with some amniotic fluid test which taken from the pregnant woman
uterus (this call amniocentesis). This test can give the information how mature
the baby lungs are.
- At 41 weeks your doctor may induce labor, especially if your cervix has
ripened and is ready for delivery. (Inducing labor means starting it artificially,
such as with medication.)
- If the baby appears to be healthy and not in danger, your doctor may check
you regularly and wait for labor to begin naturally.
- If the baby appears to be in danger, labor may have to be induced, or the
baby may be delivered by cesarean section.
Even some of the cause of postdate pregnancy is unknown, it is very important
to make sure everything is ok and the healthy of baby is secure. Always discuss
and test your pregnancy, start when you think you are pregnant. The doctor will
also give the best advice for have your pregnancy always in good condition.
More information about Cesarean Delivery